An important part of recovery is the process of making changes. This can be broken down into 5 major stages.
- AWARENESS is a crucial stage as it the first part of the process. From this new place of knowing we can begin to identify what changes are needed.
- DETERMINATION is the energy that fuels the change. In the overall process it is this driving force that now pushes us to start making obvious shifts around us.
- ACTION is when we are fully implementing the plans we made. We are now in the flow of the change and starting to live life out in a new way.
- MAINTENANCE can be described as the part of the process where we are successfully living out our changes for a sustained period of time. It is our new normal.
- RELAPSE is a period that may or may not occur. Sometimes this part of the process is necessary to learn from another part of the change cycle that has not worked out so well. Either way if RELAPSE is a part of your change process then try to use is to build AWARENESS as opposed to self-criticism.
Some helpful questions to help you with change?
What important change are you currently working on?
What stage in the process are you at?
Who can assist you to move forward in the process?